KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas: Tickets are SOLD OUT. Thanks for supporting Para Los NiƱos and the Al Wooten Jr. Heritage Center! Enter to win tickets HERE.

Psycho Mike Catherwood’s Domestic Journey: Buying Only American Made Products For One Year

[pullquote quote=”One of the goals is to give notice to and celebrate companies that, in this day of outsourcing, continue to make their products within the United States. ” credit=”Mike Catherwood”]Late last year Mike had the revelation that he should go all of 2012 buying and consuming only American-made products. As you can imagine, this has proven to be quite challenging.

Gasoline? Typically from foreign countries. Coffee? Tougher than you’d think. Consumer electronics? Out of the question. He’s hoping that his iPhone doesn’t break because there’s not a single cell phone made in the U.S.

On his website, DomesticJourney.com, Mike chronicles his daily adventures as he does his best to keep his money going to U.S. workers.

What are his motives? How hard has it been? Listen to the interview from this morning’s Kevin & Bean Show.

Pt 1

Pt 2

Do you have an American-made company or maybe you’re a fan of one that you’d like us to know about? Mike’s web team is assembling a database of American-made products so that others’ journeys will take less effort than his.

Contribute the info in the comments. Leave the company name, phone #, website, its core product and how it’s distributed. His goal is to help you promote it.

Comments

1. Nes says:

Awesome what Mike is doing, a real American hero. It would have been great if Mike would have made a pro-union statement which benefits all workers. Also iPhones would still be profitable if they were made in the US. Apple is just being greedy and wanting to squeeze as much profit as possible by having effectively slaves. $17 a day wages = slaves.

2. WILL_626 says:

USA.. USA.. USA.. USA…….

3. eric says:

I like Cutco knives, they have been Made in the USA for more than 50 years: http://www.cutco.com. They also have a forever guarantee that’s transferrable, so if you buy some old ones that are chipped or scratched, you can send them in to the factory in New York, and they will be replaced for half the cost of a new knife. If they’re dull they’ll sharpen them for free and send them back, and you just pay shipping for that. They’re great knives!

4. Kassie says:

not sure if you have seen this site and/or if anyone has mentioned it you on the great journey!

5. brent says:

that’s a unique resolution – good on you, mike.

at the end of the year i’d like to know what the most difficult part of purchasing domestic-only products was. i live 25 miles from work so gas would seem to be a difficult part of the pledge.

6. Barbara says:

Dear Kevin and Bean web producers. I was in the main page this morning while listening to the K&B show and came across some spelling issue. Is the word “by,” which should be “buy” on the Sicko Mike link to his 2012 resolution.

I love this show. Keep it up.

1. Lightning says:

Fixed. Thanks!

7. TheDude says:

Monster Energy Drinks are based right here in Corona, CA.

1. mike says:

I think Rock Star is too?

8. I was in High School when the Tibet Freedom Concerts were held in San Francisco. Upon discovering all the rotten things China did to Tibet, I did what I could to not purchase products made in China. It was next to impossible. Kudos to Mike on his journey, I hope he succeeds.

9. mike says:

Hey Mike I’m not sure if you have already done this…buuuut you should list the places were you purchased all your american made products so other people can jump on the band waggon! like myself. I just purchased $6200 at Ashley furniture cause it’s American made.
    Thanks for stepping up for this country we need to all do what your doing.
    God bless.

10. Hey Mike, my name is Damien Martin and I own and operate Martin Landscaping Co. based in El Segundo, CA. We are 100% American owned and operated which isn’t hard to do since its a family business. As you probably already know gardening and landscaping is dominated by foreign workers both legal and illegal. My parents who started this company in 1972 have been complaining for as long as I can remember about how hard it is for us to compete and run a legitimate licensed and insured business due to being bids being undercut by foreign workers. And my biggest pet peeve is politicians saying we need these foreign workers to do the jobs that americans wont do! Thats BS! What we need is more people like YOU to take pride in American made goods and services!! Thanks for what you are doing.

Martin Landscaping Co.
    310-930-7890

11. hermanseco says:

WE make ECO Clothes in the USA. My men’s line is really unique. Watch my videos . I am sourcing organic cotton grown in Texas milled in South Carolina. Long story about the garment industry & their of dirty offshore habits.
    Yes even one person can make a difference. Just because something is made in America doesn’t mean its not made in a sweatshop look at LA where many clothes are made by illegals for 2.00 an hour.

12. Tat2x is proud to be based in Long Beach, CA and our apparel is Made in the USA! We help tattoo lovers protect their ink from the sun and their boss. Quite a few employers have a no visible tattoo policy and our high quality Ink Armor sleeves help employees stay in compliance while staying cool.

We are proud to have our headquarters, manufacturing and distribution based right here in the USA. Tattoos…We’ve Got You Covered!

Mike come visit us at: Tat2X.com

13. Sean says:

I try to buy made in the USA always. I also send positive words of encouragement to those that continue to make stuff here. I also send strongly worded emails to those that cheese out and outsource.

14. Vanessa Virgen says:

Hey Mike,
    My name is Vanessa Virgen. I am a senior at Norwalk High School in Norwalk CA. The school consists of a Senior Project in order to graduate. I am doing my senior project on something similar to what your doing about American Products; How Buying American Products Can Help The American Economy. I recently heard about what you were doing and i was hoping i could talk to you and you could give me further information regarding what you’ve been doing. It would be of great help if you could email me.

15. Congrats on taking a stand. Fantastic of you. I wanted to comment about my company, Alex Maine. We are an American made pants and apparel company. We launched with our flagship store on Sunset Blvd. We set out to prove that the best pants in the world could be made in America. Love for you to check it.

Thanks and keep up the great work

Create Jobs, Buy American, Go AMerica!

16. Mike says:

Great work!

American Made Matters was founded on July 4, 2009 with a mission of educating consumers that buying American made products strengthens the American dream! Visit us today: http://www.americanmadematters.com.