mortalkombat Mortal Kombat Rebirth (Short Film)   A Must See

Since the time we received this trailer late yesterday it’s received almost 100,000 views per hour. Made as a tool to get Warner Bros. excited about buying the movie, a few SoCal movie makers got together to create this pitch. No, this is not actually a trailer… there is no movie to follow this (or is there?).

DUE TO BRUTALITY, BLOOD AND GORE, THIS VIDEO IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THE WORKPLACE OR ANYONE UNDER 14.

If you have FIOS or super fast internet, watch it in HD with the sound up. One of the coolest trailers in a long time.

Click more for the video.

The film has been creating quite a buzz online, from people hating on the new characters to people begging Warner Bros. to follow through and make a full-length feature.

This film is choreographed by Larnell Stovall, who worked on the fight scenes in Undisputed 3: Redemption, and was directed by Kevin Tancharoen. Rumor has it that this is indeed a trailer to help spur the interest of investors into the film.

According to CHUD.com:

“A couple of weeks ago I had a chance to chat with someone involved in the latest iteration of the video game adaptation, and they told me that the hook of this movie was going to be ‘realism.’ He also told me a couple of other things that are reflected in this video, including the origins of Reptile and Baraka, which makes me believe that this is a proof of concept or demo reel, possibly for investors.”

Check out the video below:

What do you think? Should WB pick up this movie? Or is the age of video games being made into movies over?

Give us your thoughts in the comments section.

Comments (11)
  1. gus says:

looks legit… but its mortal kombat!!! its not supposed to be realistic! baraka needs to be bald… but if its real we need the ninja suits for scorpion sub zero and reptile

2. lostsoul86 says:

i saw this yesterday on some of the gaming sites and it really blew me away its really good and Jeri Ryan is in it which surprised the hell out of me i dont know if this is a tie in for a new game or if these guys are trying to get WB to pick up the film either way i hope it turns into a Film cause it looks promising

3. Scotty says:

WACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha…the only good part throughout the whole “trailer” is when you hear the sound byte “Get over here!” and then they que the title. Why? Why do people try to reinvent the story of a video game…*shakes head*… Mortal Kombat is as simple of a story as the day I saw it back in 1993 as a 7-11 arcade game surrounded by teenage punks seein’ who could kick whose ass better. It’s about a fu@kin’ tournament! Not about each characters background and why they’re in connection with the tournament! Geez… People want what they pay for and in this economy who would pay 10 plus bucks to see a dramatic martial arts movie! Leave that genre to John Woo and just stick with an action packed martial arts movie. The fight choreography was pretty decent so I’ll give ’em that much but dude, its already lookin’ like Annihilation…and for those who were there in the theaters back in the day, it sucked donkey balls! Despite how authentic Smoke looked! My opinion is to just be real with Kombat, not do some over the top origin of every character lamefest movie. Just simply create a film of what Mortal Kombat (The Original Kombat Arcade) would look like in real life, which is just a bunch of characters coming together in a tournament to kick each others asses into pits of spikes and bust out sickass finishing fatalities where you’re left thinking WTF? None of this other bullspit! And why!?! Why do they always make Johnny Cage a douche! Even in the first one he was a douche! Johnny Cage is a cool character man, but nobody gives him the face value! And who the hell considers Jax to be a main character! Don’t get me wrong, Michael Jai White is the man! Especially as Black Dynamite!!! But he’s way better than this man. *shakes head* Instead of “Mortal Kombat: Rebirth” they should just call it “Mortal Kombat: Aborted”… They’re gettin’ closer to what Sonia Blade would look like so A for effort but naw man, I’d seriously be surprised to see this be green lit. If Mz Ryan can kick ass and the other characters look atleast some what like their basis’ then maybe, just maybe, it won’t be so bad. Still be pretty bad though…actually, probably a little worse. Thanks for the post though Lightning, I’m glad I wasn’t stoned! Otherwise I might not have been able to stop laughing. It ain’t hatin’ if its the truth!

4. MATTHEW says:

HELL to the Yeah! I’ve been waiting forever for the MORTAL KOMBAT reboot. I’m not loving Baraka’s new look but Scorpion and Sub-zero look pretty badass. Jeri Ryan is a decent choice for Sonya, but I’m looking forward to who will be cast as MELINA and KITANA!

5. Vince says:

Looks to be an awesome reboot if it ever happens. I thought the previous films were pretty good. With all that fireball magical crap and 4 arm goro, lol.

6. Nick says:

i just hope jeri ryan shows her boobs =D

7. Anthony says:

This would be soooooo sick!!! Make it happen!!!

8. geo cuellar says:

badass!! all i got to say

9. punisher jose says:

mortal kombat!!!!!~!

10. Leann says:

Yes they should pick up for a movie for sure. Grew up with Mortal Kombat (1 & 2) and have both sound tracks on my ipod. ;O)

11. PV says:

Hell yes make this! Reinventing the story is the only thing that could make the game interesting again. This “fake” “real” what ever would make me go see the movie….